jQuery Mobile leverages CSS3 and HTML5 web technologies to build mobile web apps using a single codebase that automatically scales to any screen. JQM comes with an array of themes and plugins which brings enhanced user experience on a variety of mobile platforms such as iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phones, Samsung, Nokia and other devices.
- Built on jQuery core for consistent jQuery syntax and minimal learning curve for people
- Platform-agnostic: Supports major mobile platforms and browsers including iOS, Android, Blackberry, Palm WebOS, Nokia/Symbian, Windows Phones, Bada, MeeGo with baseline support for all HTML-friendly devices
- Lightweight size (12k compressed for all mobile functionality) and minimal image dependencies for optimizing speed
- HTML5 Markup-driven configuration of layout pages and behavior for fast development and minimal scripting
- Progressive enhancement approach brings core content and functionality to all mobile, tablet and desktop platforms and a rich, installed application-like experience on newer mobile platforms
- Automatic initialization by using HTML5 data-role attributes in the HTML markup to pitch all jQuery Mobile widgets found on a page automatically.
- Accessibility features such as WAI-ARIA are also included to ensure that the pages work for screen readers (e.g. Voice Over in iOS) and other supportive technologies
- New events streamline the process of supporting touch, mouse, and cursor focus-based user input methods using a simple API
- New plugins enhance native controls with touch-optimized, themable controls
- Powerful theming framework which allows customization of colors and some CSS aspects of UI features which brings highly-branded experiences. Using ThemeRoller application, a theme can be built and custom CSS file can be downloaded for applying it in their projects. A theme can be created using 26 unique color swatches, each one having a a header bar, content body, and button states. By using swatches with different combinations, mobile app developers can weave a wide range of themes containing one swatch per theme. Swatches create a scintillating visual experience and applying different swatches in a theme is easy and simple. The default jQuery Mobile theme has different color swatches, named a, b, c, d, and e.
- Touch-optimized UI widgets for cross platform mobile experiences