When we talk about search engine optimization, everyone is talking about optimizing for Google. Yes, Google may have the majority market share when it comes to search engines war, but we should not forget that Yahoo can deliver targeted traffic to your website too. Although Yahoo does not send as much as traffic as Google does, it is still worth optimizing your website for Yahoo.
Steps to Optimize for Yahoo
1. On-page factors. To rank well on Yahoo, on-page optimization is very important. You must use your primary keywords in the Title and Meta tags. Conduct a detailed keyword research to identify the main theme of your website. Then choose the primary keywords and place them at the right places on your site to score well with Yahoo.
2. Search engine friendly URLs. Do not use fanciful naming conventions for your page. Keep your URLs simple and try to include your primary keywords inside your URLs. Every word in your URLs should be separated by a hyphen.
3. Clear linking structure. Yahoo pays a lot of attention to the internal structure of your website. If your pages and links are disorganized, you will find it hard to rank well on Yahoo. So try to adopt a hierarchical structure and includes a sitemap to allow Yahoo robots to crawl your pages easily.
4. Use primary keywords as the anchor text for your internal links. As Yahoo pays more attention to the internal structure of your site, this will help you score more points with Yahoo.
5. Good copywriting. When it comes to SEO, content is king. You should not write in a way just for search engines to read. Write naturally for both human and search engines. If you can churn out unique and quality content, Yahoo will definitely reward your site with good rankings. This applies to Google optimization too.
6. Build inbound links. Getting links to point back to your site is a universal SEO tactic to rank your site high on any search engines. When your site has many back links, it means that your site is popular and important. This will make search engines notice you and reward your site with good rankings. Some effective ways to build inbound links are: article submission, press release, social book marking, blogging, commenting on other people blogs, participating in forums and many more.
Optimizing your website for Yahoo is important and you should not neglect it. Spending time to optimize for Yahoo will definitely bring you rewards in the near future.