Break out your crystal ball and take a peak at what the future may hold for your beloved laptop computer. For you Wizard of Oz fans, "we're not in Kansas anymore Toto."
Though rather tongue in cheek, did we really say "Laptop", as in one of those boat anchors that people are shlepping around to do more net based applications (or SaaS applications)?
Do not we really mean something more along the lines of the HTC Touch Pro2 running WinMo12.x, which allows for transparent interchange of assets (files, images, documents, etc) between mobile device [s] and the cloud? Well we should. Just using the term "laptop" is passe. We've advanced well beyond the horse and buggy days and if the future holds true, are poised to go even farther. At least we hope so.
Besides, "devices" are so 1999. Clouds are where we are flying now.
Now, what will your "traveltop" look like in the future?
Hmmm, how about this:
* The size / screen factor. There will be enough that it does not bother you. It will be compact yes …. but not so much that you'll need to get your eyes examined.
* Bundled software – there will be none. You'll "live in the cloud". Your connectivity will be your bundle. Access to whatever your heart desires will be through your cloud connectivity. Switch on, connect, and voila. Everything you want is at your finger tips. No fuss, no muss.
* There will be no specific applications and the "machine" will just work flawlessly. It'll be so pure, so non-pesky, it'll rock, it will be solid, it will be sparse, it will be free of assumptions, it will simply offer a gateway to the web. What more do you need?
* It will not be Windows. It may be Mac. It will probably be Linux.
* It will be kinetic in power. It'll charge off of you.
* It will be slim, gestural, but smart enough to give you a keyboard.
* It will come in a rainbow of colors. It will be flexible, and run for days on a charge.
* It will have a crap load of competition, such as something akin to a Kindle ZLT, or the new iTablet.
* It will be affordable (oh yeah!), Big in Korea, and hot movie stars will carry it around. he cool factor will be obvious.
And finally, it will be no nonsense, already dated, but coming out with something new the next year. So I guess not much will change in that regard.
Sound a bit far fetched?
Maybe this is a bit of a humorous prediction. However, there is some realistic truth to the vision.
It could happen.
With the way "travel tops" morph so fast in this high tech world, and as the tech savvy and tech hungry public clamors for "more and better, and newer, and cooler," who really knows what the future will really hold?
But, it sure is fun day dreaming about it.
Now what do YOU think?