Computers are common place now. They are virtually part of the household along with the telephone, television etc. However, they are only as good as there operating system. Windows has been the predominant operating system in the market place, but Linux is rapidly gaining due to some interesting facts. These are the things I love about Linux for my home computer.
- It's easy! Reason: You simply download and burn it to a CD. Then you can use it from the CD without putting it on your computer, to see if you like the way it works and what it has to offer.
- It has free support. Reason: The help you get on Linux is second to none. There are so many ways you receive help that I can not list them all here. The forums alone have solved problems for me in minutes of posting a question.
- Over twenty thousand free programs to chose from! Reason: You will be startled when you find out the kinds of Linux software that you can download completely free. I replaced Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office for free! Many, many software programs come standard.
- There is a new upgraded operating system released about every 6 months. Reason: These upgrades are always free and the differences are always listed and talked about on the forums so you can decide whether you want to upgrade or not.
- There are many different kinds of Linux called "Distributions" Reason: There are literally hundreds of different types of Linux operating systems. You can choose and test any of them to see which one fits your needs. You could have 2 or 3 or even more on your computer at one time just to see which one you like the best.
There are many more things I love about Linux operating systems, like that it is never hacked and does not get viruses. I have been using it for 5 years and have never had to use anti-virus software or a firewall. Take the time to try anyone of the hundreds of flavors of Linux. I think you will be impressed.