Joomla is one of the most well-known and certainly also one of the most widely used content management system that is found on the internet. Joomla lets you create from simple websites to complex ones with highly corporate applications. The popularity of Joomla can be attributed to the fact that it is an open source program and most likely because the cost of using it is absolutely zero. But contrary to what most people believe there are many factors that can affect the cost of using Joomla, while it is definitely free to acquire the program and install, at the end of the day, you are certainly not spending nothing with regards to using Joomla . Some of the financial costs that are associated with the utilization of Joomla are as follows:
- Joomla is a fairly complex CMS, so unless you have a background with web developing, it is expected that you will find it difficult to use Joomla. So there is the cost of learning Joomla through tutorials, ebooks, training and so on.
- While there are certainly free ones, some Joomla templates have an average cost of $ 60 plus additional fees if it comes packaged with an installation service.
- Out of the box, Joomla comes pre-packaged with a number of features and functionalities but if you want to enhance or expand those functionalities then you will be need to install additional plugins and extensions. Some extensions are free while there are those that will cost you no more than $ 20.
- While it may not equate or accurately translate to financial cost, the time that you spend while learning Joomla is also worth a mention. The same is also applicable to the time required to build and maintain a website that is made from Joomla.
- While this is not merely exclusive to Joomla websites, whether it is a low traffic or high traffic website, hosting will certainly cost you real money.
- Maintaining a website that is built using Joomla will also require you to pay for the legal fees. You may need to ask for legal advice and other related services from the Software Freedom Law Centre (SFLC) which will cost you. Legal services such as copyrights and trademarks will also cost you money.
- If you belong in a large organization then it is highly likely that you will be needing to spend money for the services of an accountant. This is to ensure that reports and other financial documents are filed correctly and on time.
- Because of Joomla's high learning curve, you may find yourself lost especially if you have no prior experience with web developing. If that is the case, you may need to hire someone to do the installation and configuration of Joomla, and that goes for the maintenance as well when the website starts to operate.
So these are just some of the cost with regards to using Joomla as your CMS. Obviously the cost will vary depending on your needs and requirements.