Joomla is a content management system with which the user can publish content on the World Wide Web and intranets. It can also be used for Model-View-Controller (MVC) Web Applications Development framework. It allows the user to change the look and design of a website in a matter of seconds. Any site – big and small, simple and complex, can use it to create a site that is easy for the eye and also easily extendable. The language used is MySQL database and is written in PHP programming.
Joomla, being open source, can be acquired for free.
It helps in creating a professional looking website, making any material systematic in presentation so that it becomes meaningful. Even the most complex data can be presented in a form easy to understand. It can be used by a person who do not have HTML programming experience. Many features can be added to make the website interactive. Any information about an organization can be made available according to rank. Old information and new data can be well presented.
The Joomla management system is a package that has many different parts to it. These help in making modular extensions and integrations, to be made easily. Some of the parts are:
1. 'Plugins' – These are background extensions that help in extending Joomla.
2. 'The Wiki Bot' – This lets the author of Joomla use 'Wikitags' in Joomla articles. This helps in auto creation of dynamic hyperlinks to Wikipedia articles, when they are shown. As many as 4,000 extensions are available in the 'Extensions Directory'.
3. 'Components' – This is used to build a website with features that make it user friendly. Some of them are to make a community by expanding user features, backup a website, translate content and create URL's that are friendly for search engines.
4. 'Modules' – This allows some tasks lime displaying the calendar, allowing the custom code like Google and AdSense etc to be inserted within the base Joomla code.
5. The Content Management System in Joomla helps in preventing administrators to set global configuration parameters that affect every article.
6. There are many features that can be incorporated to make a site more attractive and effective:
a. The advertising management helps in making banners etc.
b. There are built in help files
c. There is a built in search engine
d. There is a built in Content Syndication
e. It helps in creating, publishing, recording and editing articles in a click
f. It helps in creating your won publishing schedule
g. You can have a content display schedule
h. It has a completely data base driven search engine
i. You can E-mail a friend and have a print format (pdf)
j. You can have easy to use geographic administrative interface
k. The text editor is like Word Pad
l. The news, product or services sections are editable and manageable
m. You can have the choice of 4,000 new feeds around the world
n. You also have a 'trash manager' which is a recycle bin. You can upload and manage media images and documents
o. It has search engine friendly URL's
p. It has the WYSI WYG content editor's support which is built into the Content Management System.
Joomla helps you to manage a web site without the technical skill of a web developer and make it interactive and full of content. It can be used by a novice. It can be used by a person with some knowledge to make his site better with additions and improvements. An experienced person can also make use of advanced interactive features such as chat rooms, forums, interactive maps and shopping cart to improve the website. There are more than 2,000 templates which help in changing the look of a website. All these features make it attractive, user friendly and easy to use. So, go ahead and use joomla to get the best out of your website.