The Joomla software is one of the most flexible types of Content Management Systems, especially when it comes to customizing and adapting it to design and develop different types of specialty Joomla websites.
While the following is by no means a comprehensive list, it gives you a basic idea of what you can achieve when you learn Joomla. Note: You don’t have to be an expert to build these types of sites. More on that in the following paragraphs.:)
Here are some of the types of websites that you can design and develop with Joomla…
1. Joomla Membership Site: A Joomla membership website is very easy to design using Joomla. There are different types of extensions (add-ons) that you can install on the Joomla site and configure them to work seamlessly. There are components (major “stand-alone scripts”), modules, as well as plugins that will help you create such a website.
Some of the things that you can accomplish with a Joomla membership site are:
- Creating different membership levels, subscription rates for each level and matching content access.
- Hosting and managing a newsletter for your site visitors or registered users.
- A help desk system for the members
- And much more…
2. Joomla eCommerce Websites: If you are into selling products online (whether they are digital or shippable items), you can also simply and easily build a fully-functional eCommerce site using nothing but the Joomla CMS. There are many extensions that are available to help you setup and manage:
- Shopping cart systems
- Product delivery or downloads
- Automated purchase confirmation
- And a lot more…
You can also easily integrate your Joomla product ordering system with your site and add a membership system to it if you want. It is all possible, if you know how or are willing to pay for others to do it for you (though doing it yourself might be more fulfilling and fun!:) ). There are also many Joomla eCommerce templates that you can download and install on your website to give it a more professional look. Some of the Joomla shopping cart and related extensions even come with their own collection of templates, whether paid or for free.
3. Joomla Business Directory: One of the projects that I have been able to accomplish personally with this CMS is that of being able to successfully design, develop and launch a Joomla Business Directory using only the components, modules and pugins that are available to the Joomla community. It may have seemed a mega Joomla development project, but it was simply enough to do and worth it. Using these extensions, you can create directory sites that have such features as:
- Featured listings
- Google Maps for each listing
- Listing fees, if you want to.
- Business directory categories that can be many levels deep.
- Meta tags, and other search engine optimization (SEO) systems.
- And more…
4. Joomla Video Portal: Your Joomla website development skills can also enable you to create a video submission and sharing site using Joomla. Some of the features that your users can enjoy may include:
- Creating individual or business accounts on your video portal
- Uploading videos
- Automatic creation of embed links. (You know those little nifty pieces of code that you just copy and paste on a page and then your video appears? Yes, you can do that just like YouTube and other video sharing sites. )
- Sharing or recommending the videos to their friends, classmates and colleagues
- And so much more…
And, yes, there are a lot of Joomla video components, modules and plugins to help you create this as simply and as quickly as possible.
5. Your Own Type of Site: Whatever type of Joomla website you want to design and develop, there is a high probability that there are already many others doing it with Joomla. And the right extensions would be available to help you achieve it in record time, if only you want to do it.
The extent to which you can tweak, modify and customize Joomla to create the type of website you so badly want is simply limited by your own creative imagination, inspiration and dedication to enhance your Joomla development skills.
Once you master Joomla, the sky is no longer the limit, just the launch pad for you for your Joomla website development skills. You can accomplish so many “Joomlastic” (fantastic) wonders. Now, before you click away in search of another Joomla tutorialYou have probably heard every man and his dog saying that Joomla “has a very steep learning curve”, and you know what, they are almost right. Why almost? Well…