You need to know how to use a computer
On the Internet you will find claims that you can have your own website with no computer experience. Without ever using a computer you can make money online. That is absolutely ridiculous. It is like claiming you can operate a successful mechanic shop without ever having seen a automobile.
To make money online you need to have computer experience. You do not need to be a wizard programmer or know how to crack into the Pentagon's server, but you need to be comfortable with computers.
Having a website and even attempting to make money online you need to know at least the following:
- How to use the Internet. How to find things on the Internet. If you wanted to find out how to fix a leaky pipe under the kitchen do you know how to find the answer on the internet?
- You need to know how to manipulate files and folders. Can you copy files, rename, delete and move them?
- You need to be able to install and uninstall software. Can you learn how to use new software? Do software manuals make sense to you are do they all seem like they are written in Chinese?
- You need to be able to fix simple problems and make updates to the operating system. If your computer does not boot up, or if there is a little popup stating that updates need to be made – do you know what to do?
- And probably most importantly you can not be afraid of the computer. Are you scared to make any changes to configuration files? Are you scared to purchase things online or to give away your credit card to reputable companies like Amazon.com? Is the computer as big murky mystery to you that you do not trust?
If you are comfortable with the above list and know how to do most of the things mentioned and are not afraid to use the computer then that is a really good start. Otherwise you are not ready to make money online with a website.
A good indication that you are proficient with the computer is that you are reading this article on ezinearticles.com. If you are using your computer that you manage and made the search for this article yourself then you should be fine with creating a website.
You do not need to know much about HTML or CSS when creating a website with a template.
As you are probably aware having a website involves some languages that you might not be familiar with. For example, HTML, CSS. These are technologies specific to websites. You can be a proficient computer and internet user without ever having to understand these languages, but if you want to have a website then you will need to know about them.
The good news is that you do not need to be an expert at them right at the beginning. You do not need to understand everything about them. At the beginning you simply need to know what their main function is and how they are used generally. Once you grasp the general intent of them then as you start you website and start working with them you will learn as you go.
Best way to learn about websites with a complete website template
The best approach when you do not know too much about HTML and CSS is to start with a working website template. A website template that is already created – all you need to do is add the content. Using the skills you already have, creating text in a word processor, copying files, installing software, and doing searches on the Internet, you can have your own website up and running within days.
The great thing with a working website template is that you do not need to understand everything right at the beginning. You learn as you go along. You study the template and see how everything works. As time goes on you learn more and make more changes to the template as your confidence grows.
Most people who have basic computer knowledge are hesitant to make a website because of the steep learning curve at the beginning. They know nothing about HTML and CSS and think that they need to know everything before they start. This usually results in two things: a long delay before the website gets started or the website never gets made.
To get past the initial learning much quicker and get your website online try using a complete website template.