Dot Net Nuke which is also known as DNN in Short is a Web Application Framework which consists of it's own Content Management System (CMS). DNN is an Open Source ie a Free Application from Microsoft which is yet another benefit. It is written using Windows ASP.NET Framework and VB.NET and the Content Management System of it is Highly Customizable according to the requirements of the User. It is mostly used for the Creation, Distribution and management of Websites, Intranet and Extranet and can customized through Modules and Skins.
Features of DotNetNuke:
1. Installation: The installation process of DNN is very simple and you can install DNN within a short time once you have downloaded the Application. Some of the Web Hosting providers will provide you with DNN already installed on the Web hosting package / Server.
2. Use: DNN is made with a Motive to provide Administrators, Designers, Web developers and People of other niches with ease of management and use. User Interface provided by DNN makes it even easier for everyone to manage other things which can be really difficult at times.
3. Potential: You will have the power to manage many websites once you have installed DNN. Managing many websites at the same time will never be difficult with DNN.
4. Amazing Tools: DNN already has Exceptional tools which will allow to manage everything in the best possible way. The tools provided can help you with the management of Website Hosting, Web design, Security, Content etc.
5. Languages Supported: DNN includes Multi-Language support that allows Users to translate Selected websites into the languages they wish to.
6. Advantage: DNN offers the User an Over-Edge advantage to use the technologies such as Visual Studio, Windows Server, SQL Server, ASP.NET 2.0 and IIS.
Installing DotNetNuke (DNN) on Windows Dedicated Server:
1) First you will have to download MSI Installer of DNN from it's website itself and save it on your Windows Dedicated server.
2) Next step will be easier if you have Plesk control panel with your Windows Dedicated server. Anyways, the step is to Create MSSQL Database and assign Name and Password to it.
3) Now, Upload the DNN Folder into the httpdocs folder of the Domain name on which you wish to install DNN once you are done with the extraction Zip file on your Local Machine.
4) Next, httpdocs Folder should be setup as "Modify Permissions". Also, provide "Modify Permissions" to IWAM_ & IUSR_ users and this task can be done through File Manager Option in your Plesk control panel if you have it.
5) It is also possible to install DNN in the Subfolder of your Domain name and if you wish to do this then you will have to set it as an Application Directory. To do this, go to the Web Directories in Plesk control panel on create new Virtual Directory Option.
6) After you have followed the above steps properly, go to dotnetnuke.com/DNN
7) Finally, you will have to start the DotNetNuke (DNN) Installation Wizard.
Installation Wizard of DotNetNuke (DNN):
Please note that the Installation Wizard we are working on is Version 04.08.04
Welcome message will be Displayed once you login into the Installation Wizard of DotNetNuke. You will also get an option to choose the Installation Method, Select "Custom." Also, you will get an option to choose the language (Please note: We have Chosen English Language).
2. Checking File Permissions:
DotNetNuke has many File upload Capabilities for Modules, Skins and Content.
Note: Custom Security Settings are required by these features and the reason for this is the fact that Application should be able to create and remove files in your website. Current File Permissions will be checked now so that these features will work correctly.
3. Configure Database Connection:
Now you will have to configure the Database which will be used by DotNetNuke. You will get 2 Options if you are using Database ie SQL Server 2005. The use of Database files are supported by SQL Server 2005 and this should be used mostly. Here, you should select the Database Option.
Note: If you are using SQL Server 2005 Express Edition then you will have to choose the File Option.
Now, Select the Database SQL Server 2000 or 2005.
Enter the Database Information accordingly.
Server: IP SQLEXPRESS
Uncheck Integrated Security
4. Host User Configuration:
The Details for the Host or the Super User Account should be provided now.
Important: You should make sure that you provide a proper Username and Password to this user as this User has access to all the Portals Created on the website and you should make sure that the Username and Password used is quite safe.
5. Install Optional Modules:
You can install Modules if you need here. DotNetNuke is highly extensible.
6. Install Authentication Services:
You will get an option to choose the System you wish to install as DotNetNuke supports a Number of Systems if they are Authenticated.
7. Install Optional Skins and Containers:
You can choose the Skins and Containers for DotNetNuke here as it has a good Skining Capability.
8. Install Language Packs:
You can choose the Language you wish to have as DotNetNuke supports a number of Languages.
9. Title of Portal:
You will have to configure the Host (or initial portal) Portal (website) Here. It is necessary for you to create an Administrator user account now.
Note: This Particular user can access all the Portals and use them respectively. Here, with the Host user you should make sure that you provide a Username and Password to keep it Private and safe.
10. Congratulations 🙂
This is a Moment of Joy for you as you must have Successfully Installed DotNetNuke.